Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Music Post: Robots!

Today's music post celebrates robots, or at least works as a guide through the different stages of budding robot-icity: denial, anger, acceptance, and finally violent retribution on their human creators.  Now with 100% less Uncanny Valley effect.

Let's work with denial first.  Marina and the Diamonds: I Am Not a Robot



Anger.  The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots



Acceptance, via Robyn: Fembot



Retribution, Flight of the Conchords style: the Humans Are Dead



I realize there's a lot of other robot-related music that could have gone on this round-up, so I'll probably do another robot-themed music post sooner or later.

Finally, here's an informal poll: who, or what, is your favorite robot (cylons, terminators, fembots, etc - all valid)?  I'm partial to Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I think my favorite is R2D2.

9 comments:

  1. I like Marvin, but mostly he makes me hate humans. HK-47 is pretty badass. But I think I'd have to go with R. Daneel Olivaw, from Asimov's robot mysteries.

    And my captcha phrase is "thesings"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captcha win :)

    I admit to having a fondness for HK-47 once all was said and done (musing reply), but have only read one of Asimov's robot novels and don't remember Olivaw all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R. Daneel works with his human detective partner Elijah Baley to solve mysteries (starting with Caves of Steel). They form a friendship which ends up being very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cracking up at the Robyn--Fembot song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessica it's a good one :) Jej sings along in the morning, it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Marvin as well! I also liked Kryten from "Red Dwarf".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am saddened by the lack of Styx on this list...

    Domo arigato, Mrs. Sci Fi Sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete